The Summer Program at The New Community School (TNCS) offers middle and upper school students an opportunity to improve basic skills in reading, writing, mathematics, keyboarding or organizational/study skills. These courses are remedial in nature. Class sizes are limited so students can receive individual attention. The atmosphere is a comfortable one where students are involved in interactive, multi-sensory, structured, yet fun activities.
The range of remedial skills covered is intentionally narrowed for this short time period, so that progress can be made and observed. Brief diagnostic testing at the beginning of courses may be administered to provide teachers the information needed to plan appropriate instruction.
The TNCS Summer Program is based on the belief that:
- Students with specific learning differences have the potential and a natural desire to learn.
- The needed body of knowledge and personnel exists to offer successful opportunities to these students.
- These students can succeed academically if their language, math, and/or organizational skills are remediated.
- Self-confidence and self-esteem are improved as independent skills improve.
- Achievement in school will increasingly depend on the successful mastery of language and math skills commensurate with intelligence level.
To find out more, call us at 804.266.2494 ext. 18, send
us an e-mail, or download the Summer School Brochure by clicking